Financial support for residents

The Government has introduced measures to support households experiencing financial disruptions.

We recommend that you read through all the information and links below to find out what support you can receive.

You might qualify for support from more than one source.

Financial support schemes

The government has introduced different schemes depending on your employment status.

Please see the government website for advice if you are:

Check your benefits entitlement

In response to the Coronavirus, the government has increased the amount of benefits that claimants can receive.

Our benefits calculator has been updated to take into account these changes. Use it to find out if you qualify for a range of benefits including Universal Credit and Council Tax Support.

Benefits calculator

If you are already receiving housing benefit then some of the new measures might affect your entitlement. For details see Changes to benefits since the outbreak.

NHS Test and Trace Support Payment

Test and Trace Support Payments are available to give financial support to people on low incomes if they will lose money from employment while self-isolating. Eligible applicants could receive £500.

It is only available to people who have been contacted by NHS Test and Trace or been notified by the NHS Test and Trace app that you need to self-isolate.

Find out if you are eligible on our NHS Test and Trace Support Payment page.

Council tax support

Council Tax Support is a reduction in your council tax if you are on a low income or unemployed. To find out if you are eligible and to apply see Council Tax Support.

Housing support

Payment holidays for residents with mortgages – For details see the Financial Conduct Authority

The increase means that more people will qualify for support. Check what you might receive using the Benefits Calculator.

The ban on bailiff evictions, introduced at the start of the pandemic, has been extended until 31 May 2021 with measures kept under review in line with the latest public health advice. Landlords are also required to give 6-month notice periods to tenants before starting possession proceedings. For more details see Ban on rental evictions extended until end of May (moneysavingexpert.com).

The Hardship Fund Scheme

If you are experiencing financial hardship, in exceptional circumstances the Council’s Hardship Fund scheme may be able to assist. 

Applications to the scheme will only be considered once you have claimed all available support set out above, and where there is no alternative assistance available.

More information can be found on our Hardship Fund Scheme page.

Covid Winter Grant Scheme

The government have given some limited funding to councils to help families with children to buy food.

The scheme is not open for applications. If you have been identified as a family who may benefit from additional financial support to help buy food for your children, a voucher will be sent to you.

If you have received your voucher and have further questions, see our Covid Winter Grant Scheme page.