Accessibility on our site
The Harrow Council Digital team behind the Harrow Council website hopes that whoever needs to use the website can do so easily.
For example, we want to make it easy for our website users to:
- zoom in up to 300% whilst keeping an adaptive view
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- follow guidance videos with subtitles
We have tried to make our website content as simple as possible to read and understand.
Low accessibility areas of the website
Whilst we have made every effort to make most of our website accessible to all, we know some parts of the website are not fully accessible yet such as:
- older PDF documents are not fully accessible as words cannot be picked up by screen reader software
- our reporting maps cannot be fully navigated with just a keyboard
- some of our online forms are difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
- our reporting maps might be difficult use when trying to locate a specific location on the map
Reporting accessibility issues with the website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of our website. If you find any problems that we have not listed on this web page or think we’re not meeting certain accessibility requirements, please contact us on our feedback form.
How we test our website
We test our website's accessibility performance regularly with the last test completed on 17th October 2019. The test was completed by Harrow council's digital team using the SiteImprove tool testing the website: www.harrow.gov.uk.
We support the following browsers:
- IE7 and above
- Recent versions of Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- iOS Safari
- Android 2.3 and above
Site compatibility and screen readers
Our website should be compatible with basic operating system screen magnifiers; speech recognition software, eg Dragon Naturally Speaking; and operating system speech packages.
Our website should be compatible with recent versions of the following screen readers:
- Window Eyes
- Supernova screen readers
Useful accessibility tips
British Sign Language videos
These videos are presented in British Sign Language (BSL) and are aimed at deaf and hard of hearing residents.
An overview of our housing services
An overview of our adult social services