Temporary absence from home
When you are receiving housing benefit and council tax support you are required to be living in the property for which you are claiming benefit. There are certain exceptions to this rule which mean that some people can continue to claim housing benefit during periods of absence.
Reporting an absence
If it is clear that you will be away from your property for a length of time, please tell us before you leave. We need to know the following:
- The likely period of your absence, the date you are leaving and the date you expect to return.
- The reason for your absence.
- A statement confirming that you will return to live in your property and that you will not let or sub-let it during your absence.
- Please write your claim reference number (a seven digit number) on documents you send in. If you do this, we should be able to make a decision on your claim quicker.
- Depending on the length of your absence, you may also be asked to complete a new application form.
During your absence
If any of the following change during your absence you need to tell us straight away:
- if you decide not to return to the property
- if your reason for absence changes
- if your absence is likely to be for longer than expected.
Temporary Absence guide
For more information on the temporary absence rules and time limits that apply in different situations, please download the Temporary Absence Guide.
You can report a temporary absence online via your MyHarrow Account.