Apply for second adult rebate

You may be able to claim second adult rebate if you have reached pension age and share your home with at least one other adult.

The other adult(s) must:

  • not be your spouse or partner
  • not be paying you rent
  • not be liable to pay their own council tax
  • have a low income

Your own income and savings are not taken into account. Below is a list of second adult rebate values:

  • If the second adult(s) is on Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based) or Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related) or Pension Credits you will get a rebate of 25%.  
  • If the gross income of the second adult(s) is below £206 per week you will get a rebate of 15%                   
  • If the gross income of the second adult(s) is between £206 and £266 you will get a rebate of 7.5%.  
  • If the people sharing your home have an income of £266 per week or more, you cannot get Second Adult Rebate.

You cannot receive both council tax support and second adult rebate. If you qualify for both you will be awarded the one that is best for you. To apply please log in to your MyHarrow account and complete the benefit claim form.


Housing benefits and council tax support office

Civic Centre