Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a new benefit for people of working age on a low income, which is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It’s a single monthly payment which will eventually replace:

  • income support
  • income related jobseeker's allowance
  • income related employment support allowance
  • housing benefit
  • working tax credit and child tax credit

Who is not eligible for Universal Credit?

Housing Benefit should be claimed instead if you fall into any of the below categories. If you currently receive Housing Benefit and the below applies to you, your claim will not be affected.

  • Pensioners (if you have reached the qualifying age for state pension credit). The way couples are treated is changing from 15th May 2019 (see below)
  • Claimants who receive the severe disability premium until they are moved onto UC by the department for work and pensions in future.
  • Those who reside in specified accommodation (this is where care is provided by or on behalf of the social sector landlord, a hostel, domestic violence refuge)
  • Those who reside in temporary accommodation (this is housing arranged by a council because they have decided that the tenant is homeless)
  • In all cases the accommodation must be allocated by the council or by a social housing provider through arrangements made with the council 

Who is eligible for Universal Credit?

All other working age claimants.

To find out when you may be eligible for Universal Credit, please use the universal credit eligibility checker.

If you pay council tax in Harrow and wish to claim council tax support, you must make a claim through your MyHarrow account.

Pensioner couple changes

If you are in a couple your eligibility for means-tested benefits used to be determined by the age of the oldest person. This has changed with effect from 15th May 2019. Eligibility is now determined by the age of the youngest person. This means that if one of you is below the pension age you will need to apply for Universal Credit. Further information including real life examples on how people are affected can be found at what difference this could make for 'mixed age couples.

Need help making a new Universal Credit claim?

Citizens Advice Harrow can support those wishing to claim Universal Credit from opening an account to receiving the first payment. For more information see the Citizens Advice website.

Housing benefits and council tax support office

Civic Centre