Providing evidence for housing benefit and council tax support

Evidence for your benefit application

After you submit a new claim or report a change in circumstances, you will be asked to provide evidence. You have one month from when you make your claim to provide all of the supporting evidence. If you need more time you must tell us about this as soon as possible.

If we require your and/or your partner's national insurance number and identity, you must provide original documents. We can accept photocopies for any other proof you have been asked to provide. If, after reviewing your claim and the information you give us, we need to clarify anything with you, then we may ask to see the originals. If we need you to provide original documents, we will write to you and tell you what you need to do.

If some of your documents are only available online, for example, bank statements, you can print these out and tell us that they are electronic.

How to provide evidence

By Post

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, PO Box 730, Civic Centre, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2DU

New claims

If you are providing documents for a new claim, please visit the One Stop Shop at the Civic Centre to provide this information. You do not need to book an appointment.

Changes in circumstance

If we have requested for you to provide documents to us, please visit the  Civic Centre to provide this information. You can leave the documents in the post box in the Civic Centre 1 reception area. This is open 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. You will need to write your claim reference number (a seven digit number) on any documents you send in. This will help us to make a decision on your claim quicker.

Housing benefits and council tax support office

Civic Centre