Housing Benefit

Housing benefit is support to help pay your rent. For most households it has been replaced by Universal Credit, but you can still claim Housing Benefit if you are: 

  • A pensioner: Check if you have reached the qualifying age for State Pension Credit. There are different rules for couples.
  • Living in specified accommodation: This is where care is provided by or on behalf of the social sector landlord, a hostel, or a domestic violence refuge
  • Living in temporary accommodation: Housing arranged by the council because you are homeless

If the circumstances above do not apply to you, you should apply for Universal Credit.

You will not be entitled to Housing Benefit if

  • you and/or your partners savings and investments are above £16,000 - unless you are receiving Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit (PCGC)
  • you own and occupy your own home -  instead you can apply for Support for Mortgage Interest 

How to apply for Housing Benefit

  • You must apply for Housing Benefit through your MyHarrow Account.
  • If you do not already have a MyHarrow Account, you will need to register before you can access the application form.
  • If you already have an account, log in using the link below to begin your application.
  • The person claiming housing benefit must complete the form themselves. If you are applying on behalf of someone else you must have Power of Attorney (proof will be required)
  • You can complete your application piecemeal, and save your progress using the 'Save' button in the top right of the form. When you next log in to your account, you can access the saved form on the 'My Activity' tab.

Apply for Housing Benefit

Providing documents

When we receive your completed application, we'll email you telling you which documents you need to provide. For further information see our guidance on providing documents for Housing Benefit.

Do check your junk and spam folders for the email.

European Union (EU) nationals and the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

To be considered eligible for Housing Benefit, from 1st July 2021 you will need to prove your status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS). This applies if you are an EU national who has been resident in the UK before 1st January 2021. For information see Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Backdating your claim

For information on backdating your claim see Backdating your benefit claim.

Find out how much Housing Benefit you could get

To find out what benefits you might receive, you can use the Benefits Calculator. The calculator should only be used a guide as it will only give you an estimation of your entitlement. The amount of Housing Benefit you are entitled to if you are private tenant is determined by a Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

How we will share your information

We will use the information you provide when you apply for Housing Benefit to process your application. We will also use the information you provide for other purposes. For further detail please download our privacy notice.