Council Tax Enquiries

Council Tax Enquiries

Select an option from the list below to proceed

Select a topic
  • My name has changed due to marriage
  • My name is spelt incorrectly on my bill
  • Report a name change by deed poll
  • Report that someone has died
  • Request proof of address
  • I want to update my correspondence address
  • I want to cancel a discount or exemption
  • I want to reply to a Council Tax letter or email
  • Add someone else to my bill
  • Apply for a discount or exemption
  • Apply for Council Tax Support
  • Report a change of address
  • Report that a tenant has moved
  • Request a payment arrangement
  • Request a refund
  • Set up or cancel a Direct Debit
  • I have received a Reminder Notice
  • I have received a Final Notice
  • I have received a Summons
  • I want to know who should be responsible for paying Council Tax

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to pay over 12 months not 10

You have two options to pay over 12 months:

  • Option 1: pay by Direct Debit: you'll need to complete an online Direct Debit form
  • Option 2: submit a request using the Evidence Form so that we can arrange a payment plan through to March

I can’t pay on the 1st of the month

All non-Direct Debit payments must be made on the 1st of each month. If you cannot pay on the 1st you can set up a Direct Debit. You can set the payment to be taken either on the 15th or 25th of each month. To set up a Direct Debit, please complete our online Direct Debit form.

Why doesn't my bill show my discount, or exemption, or relief?

If your application for a reduction was very recent, it might not be processed yet. You must continue to pay your current bill until a new bill with the new amount is issued.

If you have been awarded a full exemption and your Council Tax account is in credit, you can request a refund. But before you do this please log on to your MyHarrow Account to see if the reduction has been applied. You can also check the status of the application and any letters that we may have sent to you.

If you believe you qualify for a discount or exemption, please see our Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions page.

I’ve moved out or sold my property, what should I do?

Please complete the online move in/out online form. Once this has been processed a new bill with a revised amount will be issued. This stands as confirmation that the Council Tax record has been updated.

I get Universal Credit, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance, Employment Support Allowance, Pension Credit Guarantee or have a low income; can I get any more support to pay my Council Tax?

The answer will be dependent upon your circumstances. If you are currently receiving Council Tax Support (CTS), your entitlement will automatically be calculated based upon your circumstances. If you’re not currently receiving CTS, find out whether you may be entitled to it via our entitlement calculator.

If you have submitted a new claim or change of circumstances recently and have not yet received a revised Council Tax bill showing any entitlement or change of entitlement, you will, in the meantime, need to pay your Council Tax as shown on your most recent bill.

I don’t agree with how much Council Tax Support I am getting

You can visit your MyHarrow Account to view your total entitlement to Council Tax Support.

If you think your Council Tax Support is incorrect, you can ask us to review the decision. To do this you must write to the Council giving reasons why you believe the decision is incorrect and send all supporting documentation. You can also Submit your dispute online.

If you are not satisfied with the decision from the Council, you can appeal to an independent Valuation Tribunal within two months of our decision. You must however continue to pay your Council Tax as per your bill, whilst you have an appeal outstanding.

I don’t agree with my Council Tax Band?

You should contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to explain why you think your valuation band is wrong. You must be able to provide evidence.

Visit or call 03000 501 501

Useful information from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA)

The Valuation Office YouTube channel features videos on:

Explanations of various aspects of Council Tax including proposals, band reviews, and the supporting evidence needed are on the VOA Blog.