Understanding my bill

Council Tax bills FAQs

Only payments received by 23rd February 2024 are shown on your bill. If you have made a payment since that date, this will not be included on your bill. 

If you have made a payment since the above date and the payment has put your account in credit, and you do not pay by Direct Debit, please deduct the amount of the overpayment from your 1st April 2024 instalment. You can then continue to pay your instalments as shown on your annual bill, from 1st May 2024 onwards. If you pay by Direct Debit then this overpayment will not be taken into account until your final instalment for 2024-25.

If there has been a change to your liability since 23rd February 2024, that you have recently told us about, this will not be shown on your annual bill, but a new bill will be sent to you after the 1st April 2024. The new instalments on your bill do not include any balance outstanding from 2023/2024 but any credit balance, as at 23rd February 2024, will have already been taken into account to reduce your instalments for 2024/25.

Why doesn't my bill take into account a recent change in circumstances?

Annual Council Tax bills for 2024/25 are being produced from 23rd February onwards, in readiness for being posted on 12th March 2024.


Annual bills do not show any changes reported and / or applied to your account after 23rd February.


Please accept our apologies if the above applies to you. A new bill will be sent at the earliest opportunity.

Why does my bill show a balance outstanding?

Any outstanding balance from 2023/24 or earlier, that has not been subject to previous court proceedings, must be paid in full by 31st March 2024. Please check your MyHarrow Account to view when your instalments are due, as there may be a final payment due on a date in March 2024


If you were previously issued with a Summons and the outstanding balance is already with Enforcement Agents, you must contact them to make payment. If your outstanding balance is subject to a payment arrangement, please ensure that it is up-to-date and continue to make your payments in addition to those shown on your New Bill to avoid court proceedings. An outstanding balance that has been subject to previous court proceedings will be shown as ‘subject to court proceedings’ on your annual bill. 

I want a refund for the credit on my account instead of it being used to reduce what I owe for 2024/25

You can Request a Council Tax Refund.


If you request a refund, your bill for 2024/25 will have to be recalculated and this will increase your monthly payments.  This is because they are currently reduced by the amount of the credit. You will then be sent a new bill after 1st April 2024.

How can I make payment?

Details of how to pay are on the back of the Council Tax Bill, or see Pay your Council Tax

If you were previously paying by Direct Debit it will continue unless it has been cancelled.

I want to pay over 12 months not 10

You have two options to pay over 12 months:

If you pay your April instalment as shown on your bill, we can then recalculate the balance over the remaining 11 months.  Otherwise, your revised bill will give 11 instalments from May 2024 to March 2025 and this will increase what you have to pay each month, as there will only be 11 months remaining.

I can’t pay on the 1st of the month 

All non-Direct Debit payments must be made on the 1st of each month. If you cannot pay on the 1st you may wish to set up a Direct Debit for which you may choose either the 15th or 25th of each month.


If you would like to set up a Direct Debit, please complete our online Direct Debit form.

I need to stop the 1st of April Direct Debit from being collected. What can I do?

You must contact your bank and arrange to have the Direct Debit instruction cancelled.

If you opt to pay by Direct Debit in the future you will need to set up a new Direct Debit.

My bill does not show my discount/exemption/relief? 

If you have recently submitted an application, it may still be awaiting processing. You must continue to pay your bill, until you receive a revised bill showing the reduction. If this puts your account in credit, you will be able to Request a Refund. Before you do this, please check the discount/exemption/relief has been applied on your MyHarrow Account.  You can also check the status of the application and any letters that we may have sent to you.


If you believe you may qualify for a discount or exemption, please view our Council Tax Discounts and Exemptions.

How can I report a move or change of occupants?

If you have moved home, use our form to Report a move for Council Tax.

If you are a landlord and have had a change of tenants, Tell us about a change in tenants.

Following successful completion of the form, the Council Taxpayer will receive a new bill as confirmation.

How can I get Council Tax Support?

For details of the Harrow scheme, see Council Tax Support.

Find out if you are entitled to Council Tax Support and other benefits using our Benefit Calculator.

I have a low income, can I get a reduction?

If you were already receiving Council Tax Support (CTS), your entitlement will automatically be calculated for 2024/25 based upon your circumstances known to us. If you have submitted a new claim or change of circumstances recently and have not yet received a revised Council Tax bill showing any entitlement or change of entitlement, you will need to pay your Council Tax as shown on your most recent bill.

I don’t agree with how much Council Tax Support I am getting

You can view your entitlement on your MyHarrow Account.


If you think your Council Tax Support is incorrect, you can ask us to review the decision. To do this you must write to the Council giving reasons why you believe the decision is incorrect and send all supporting documentation.For details, see Council Tax Support Disputes.


If you are not satisfied with the decision from the Council, you can appeal to an independent Valuation Tribunal within two months of our decision. You must continue to pay your Council Tax as billed whilst you have an appeal outstanding. 

Why have I been charged for Adult Social Care?

An amount has been included within the Council Tax to be spent exclusively on local social care needs.

Why have I been charged for GLA?

Please refer to the online Council Tax booklet

I don’t agree with my Council Tax Band

You should contact the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to explain why you think your valuation band is wrong. You must be able to provide evidence.  

I’ve got an appeal outstanding on my band; do I have to pay this bill?

Yes. The current bill remains payable until a decision regarding your appeal has been reached.

How can I contact the Council about my Council Tax

Over 95% of our customer interactions are now online or over the telephone. If you have an Enquiry about Council Tax, see Council Tax Enquiries


Should you need assistance to access our services online, Council staff at Greenhill Library will be happy to help you at: Greenhill Library, Perceval Square, College Road, Harrow, HA1 1GX. This service is available Monday to Friday, 10am to 6pm. The opening hours of the main library may differ.


You can use this service to submit enquiries online, notify changes of circumstance, make cashless payments, and submit requested documents. Documents will be scanned and returned to you.