Resident parking permits

Resident parking permit terms and conditions

Emissions based residents parking permits are valid for use in the following spaces:

  • resident bays
  • shared use bays
  • in unmarked areas of the road, other than:
    • across dropped kerbs
    • in Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ)
    • where bays are not marked and signed as 'Beyond This Point' during the controlled hours.

The permits are valid for 12 months. Renewal notifications are issued before their expiry date which is shown on the permit.

Please be aware that the council takes no responsibility for postal delays or misdirected mail in the case of postal applications. It is the permit holders’ responsibility to both renew and display a valid permit at all times when parked.

You cannot park in the zone during the controlled hours until the permit has been issued.

You are not entitled to apply for a resident permit if:

  • you reside in a permit restricted development (PRD). The PRD status is in place because of conditions or agreements that were set when the planning permission was approved.
  • the address is listed by the council for business use.
  • the vehicle exceeds 2.08 metres in height and or 5.50 metres in length, and/or 5 tonnes in weight.

The permit remains the property of the London Borough of Harrow, which reserves the right to withdraw or invalidate it if:

  • The permit holder ceases to be a resident within the CPZ.
  • A permit has expired.
  • A permit has been altered or defaced.
  • A permit has been reported lost or stolen.
  • A duplicate or replacement permit has been issued.
  • The vehicle owner (or driver of a company vehicle) does not reside within the CPZ. Where this is the case, the permit will be invalidated. A PCN may be issued to the vehicle and no refund will be given.
  • The vehicle owner (or driver of a company vehicle) does not reside at the address to which the permit was issued,
  • The permit holder causes obstruction to other residents' driveways, where bays extend across driveways (zone R & Q1 only).
  • The applicant will not be eligible for a residents’ permit if here the owner of a vehicle has three (3) unpaid and unchallenged Penalty Charge Notices (PCN).
  • Partial refunds for resident permits may be issued if the permits are no longer required. Whole months only are refunded. Where the amount to be refunded is equal to or less than the administration fee, no refund will be made. The administration fee is set at £25.


  • Issue of a permit does not guarantee a parking space for a vehicle within the CPZ. Furthermore, permits are not valid for parking where a bay suspension is in place during CPZ restricted hours, or Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) has been put in place.
  • The permit must be displayed in a protective cover on the front near side of the windscreen. The registration number, expiry date and zone must be clearly visible.
  • Permits are only valid for the vehicle specified on the application form and permit.  
  • On renewal, if there is more than one permit issued to your household, you will be charged on the same emissions scale point for the vehicle as the previous year unless we are informed otherwise.
  • If your renewal is not received by the 20th day of the month before the expiry date you may lose your scale position.

With the change in permit system and pricing structure, the scale points are being reset. Therefore the first vehicle that needs a new permit will be charged at the first vehicle scale point for the relevant emissions band. Subsequent vehicles will be charged at the second, third, or additional vehicle scale points for the relevant emissions band. Emissions banding and date of registration for your vehicle can be found on the government’s Check if a vehicle is taxed webpage.

Preferred proof is the vehicle registration document showing the vehicle registration number and address for which the permit applies. Other proof may need to be provided each year.

Proof of residency

Examples of acceptable documents include the name on:

  • electoral register
  • driving licence
  • recent bank, credit/debit card statement
  • recent utility bill
  • valid motor insurance document.

If a tenancy agreement is provided, a permit will be issued for the length of the agreement. For example a 2-month tenancy agreement will mean a 2-month permit.

Proof of vehicle ownership

Examples of acceptable documents include; letter from employer confirming that you are the:

  • sole user
  • hire/lease agreement
  • bill of sale/invoice
  • valid motor insurance document

Disabled Badge Holders

Residents who hold a Disabled Badge do not require a resident’s parking permit if the badge is clearly displayed in the vehicle. However, if the disabled badge is not clearly displayed in the vehicle a PCN may be issued. The decision whether to purchase a resident’s permit in addition to holding a disabled badge is left to the resident to decide.

Failure to comply with these conditions may result in the issue of a PCN.

The Corporate Anti Fraud Team

This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers. To this end it may use the information you provide on your application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For more information please see our Fraud pages.

As a local authority we are required to participate in the Cabinet Office’s National Fraud Initiative. This is a data matching exercise to assist in the prevention and detection of fraud. This involves providing particular sets of data to the Minister for the Cabinet Office, for matching, for each exercise. These procedures are detailed in the Cabinet Office National Fraud Initiative pages. The use of data by the Cabinet Office in a data matching exercise is carried out with statutory authority under Part 6 of the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.

It does not require the consent of the individuals concerned under the Data Protection Act 2018.  View further information on the Cabinet Office’s legal powers.

Data matching by the Cabinet Office is subject to a Code of Practice.

Harrow Council may disclose information you provide to a Specified Anti-Fraud Organisation (SAFO) for the purposes of preventing fraud.

The personal information we collect from you will be shared with fraud prevention agencies who will use it to prevent fraud and money-laundering and to verify your identity.

A SAFO enables or facilitates the sharing of information for the prevention of fraud and is specified by an order made by the Secretary of State.  

If fraud is detected, you could be refused certain services, finance, or employment.

Further details of how your information is used by us, and these fraud prevention agencies, and your data protection rights, can be found by visiting CIFAS.

Disclosures of information from a public authority to a SAFO are subject to a Code of Practice and this, along with a full list of SAFOs we may share information with, can be found on the Home Office website.