Skip licences

If you wish to put a skip on the public highway, you will need to get a skip licence. If the skip is to be situated on private land it does not need a licence.

Members of the public can hire skips from skip hiring companies. It is the responsibility of the skip company to obtain the licence.

Each skip needs its own licence, each time it is put on the highway.

Generally only one skip may be placed at a single location at a time although permission may be granted for two skips.

An application form should be completed for each skip. The licence is not automatically granted. Approval is subject to site inspection and all conditions being met.

A licence may be issued with special conditions which may be attached at the discretion of the council inspector.

The person signing the application form is responsible for the following:

  • ensuring the skip is sited as directed on the licence and is lit during the hours of darkness
  • ensuring that the skip is marked with the owners name and telephone number or address
  • ensuring the skip does not exceed 5m in length by 2 metres in width.
  • ensuring any additional conditions detailed in the permit are adhered to.

Once the licence has been granted, it will be issued to the skip company.

Skip licences

For any enquires relating to a Skip Licence please contact us via the details below:

Address: Network Management, Commissioning & Commercial Services
Community Directorate
Harrow Council
PO Box 39
Civic Centre
Station Road

Telephone: 020 8736 6072