Building materials on the highway

If you wish to temporarily place building materials on any part of the public highway, you will need a licence. 

A licence is not necessary if materials are placed on private land. 

If materials are placed on the public highway, they should be placed on the carriageway, rather than the footway. 

Any damage caused to the highway will be recharged to the licence holder.

It is an offence under Section 171 of the Highways Act 1980 to place building materials on the public highway without a licence. 

If you do not get a licence or follow the licence rules you will be prosecuted.

Traffic, Highways & Asset Management Service

Address: PO Box 39
Civic Centre
Station Road