Apply for a skip licence

If you wish to put a skip on the public highway, you will need to get a skip licence. If the skip is going to be placed on private land it does not need a licence.

Each skip needs its own licence, each time it is put on the highway. Only one skip may be placed at a single location at a time, although permission may be granted for two skips.

You can hire skips from skip hiring companies where it is the responsibility of the skip company to obtain the licence.

Before you start

  • To apply for a skip licence you need to download and complete the application form below
  • Once complete send it to the provided email address, also below
  • Once the form has been received you will be contacted about how you can complete your payment

An application form should be completed for each skip. The licence is not automatically granted and approval is subject to a site inspection and all conditions being met. A licence may be issued with special conditions which may be attached at the discretion of the council inspector.

Download an application form

Once completed send the form to

The person completing the application form is responsible for the following:

  • ensuring the skip is sited as directed on the licence and is lit during the hours of darkness
  • ensuring that the skip is marked with the owners name and telephone number or address
  • ensuring the skip does not exceed 5 m in length by 2 m in width
  • ensuring any additional conditions detailed in the permit are adhered to

Once the licence has been granted, it will be issued to the skip company.

Skip licence fees

The cost of a skip licence is £70.50 for a two-week period (14 days). A further £70.50 is chargeable for each additional two-week period.

Where a non-licensed skip is found, a retrospective application fee of twice the standard is applied.

If you are not placing the skip on your own driveway, for example in a pay & display bay or in a controlled parking zone (CPZ), you may also be required to submit an application for a bay suspension on the highway.

Report an unlicensed skip

If you suspect that a skip is being used without a licence you can tell us online. To investigate the skip we will need the address or the location of the skip.