New council tenants

The information below is for new council tenants to help you settle into your new property.

Tenancy conditions

Before you attend your appointment to sign your tenancy agreement you must read the tenancy conditions for your tenancy type. The conditions set out your rights and responsibilities as a tenant and our responsibilities as your landlord. Your tenancy agreement is a binding contract between you and Harrow Council.

Paying your rent

Your rent is due one week in advance. You must pay at least one week's rent into your rent account before your tenancy starts. If you don't move into your new home at the start of your tenancy, you will still have to make a payment. In this circumstance you may have to pay rent on two homes. For more information on paying rent view the paying your rent guide.

Utilities connections

After you have signed the tenancy agreement you must contact the utility companies to set up your gas, electricity and water supply. You may find details of the current supplier in the property.

Please ensure that you:

  • take meter readings as soon as you get your keys  - you will need this when you phone the utility suppliers
  • don't put money on a pre-payment card until it is registered in your name or you  might take over someone else's debt

If you smell gas contact Transco on 0800 111 999 immediately.

Finding furniture

Council properties are unfurnished so you will need to think about getting furniture for your new home. If you are setting up a home for the first time, buying furniture is probably one of the biggest costs you will have. It can be expensive, but there are ways to get hold of low-cost furniture and white goods for your home. Tenants given temporary accommodation in a council property (non-secure tenants) are provided with carpets, curtains and a cooker.

Managing your money

We want to help you to be financially prepared when you move into your property so that you can pay your rent and look after your home now and in the future. See how you can work out your weekly or monthly budget in the managing your money guide.

Home contents insurance

It is your responsibility to insure your home contents. You can buy home contents insurance by making your own arrangements or through the Council's low-cost insurance scheme run by Ageas. If damage is the result of fire, burst pipes or other unforeseen events, in some cases, the council may be responsible for replacing your belongings and redecorating.

Fire safety

We want you to be free from the risk of fire in your home. For more information view the fire safety guide.

Tenancy audits and visits

Your housing officer will visit you at your home from time-to-time throughout your tenancy. This is to make sure everything is alright. We will visit you within six weeks of the start of your tenancy and at other times during your tenancy. We call these visits tenancy audits. View the guide on what to expect during a tenancy audit.

If a Housing Officer has visited while you were out they will have left a calling card. If you need to re-arrange the visit, ring the number on the calling card or contact us using the Housing Officer Enquiry Form.

Fraud prevention detection and investigation

As a local authority we are obliged to participate in the Cabinet Office's national fraud initiative. Read more information on how we comply with the fraud prevention, detection and investigation regulations.

GDPR notice

GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation. It represents the new legislation on how your personal information is protected by law. It has changed the way businesses and public sector organisations can handle their customers’ information. Harrow Council seeks to comply at all times with the GDPR regulation and the UK Data Protection Act (the Data Protection Legislation). View the Housing department's GDPR Notice.

Privacy notice for government reporting

When you  collect your keys for your new home you will be asked to provide information which the council has to share with the Ministry for Housing, Communities & Local Government for research and statistical purposes.