Home contents insurance

Home contents insurance covers you against loss, theft, and damage. It protects your personal and home possessions. Examples include your:

  • furniture
  • electrical items
  • clothes and jewellery.

It is your responsibility to insure your the contents of your home. We do not cover your home contents as part of your tenancy agreement. Contents insurance can help bring peace of mind. It can help if the worst happens.

To make sure your contents are insured, you should make your own arrangements. This can be through a third party insurer. Or you can register with a scheme administered by us on behalf of Thistle.

We have teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks. They provide special contents insurance for tenants. All tenants living in social and affordable housing are able to apply.

Thistle home contents insurance benefits

Benefits of the insurance scheme include:

  • No policy excess. Except for claims for accidental damage where a £50 excess will apply.
  • Easy payment scheme. The premiums are paid with your rent.
  • New for old cover. This is except for clothing and household linen. 
  • Insurance for accidental damage to electrical items.
  • Cover for accidental damage to fixed glass in windows. This is if you are responsible for the glass under your tenancy agreement.
  • Insurance for home improvements. This includes decorations. It also includes wood or laminate flooring. (Not covered by home contents insurance.) 
  • Cover for loss of keys and replacement of locks.
  • Contents in outbuildings, garages, and sheds (up to £3,000).
  • Accidental damage cover can be added.

How much does the scheme cost?

The scheme is only open to council tenants in Harrow. It offers competitive rates.

For a standard policy, prices start from £0.39 per week for £4,000 cover.

Or you can upgrade to a full accidental damage policy for £0.55 per week for £4,000 cover.

Optional extra cover for the policy includes:

  • personal possessions
  • wheelchairs
  • hearing aids
  • structure cover for: sheds, garages, greenhouses.

Apply for Thistle home contents insurance

To apply for home contents insurance online:

If you have any issues applying online please call us on: 0208 424 1064.

You can find out if the policy is for you by reading the insurance policy.

If you have any questions about this insurance policy you can call us on: 0208 424 1064.

Before you apply, it may be worth reading the following:

  1. Customer information document.
  2. Insurance product information document.

These documents outline how we deal with you and your insurance. Please note that the policy we provide is arranged on a non-advised basis.

This means that the information we provide should enable you to make a decision that you feel is right for you.

How to make a complaint

It is always the intention to give you the best possible service. If you are not happy about your service you can see the complaints procedure.