Providing documents for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Providing proof of earned and self-employed income

You will need to provide proof of the jobs you, your partner and any non-dependants have held.

Earned income

The following documents are acceptable as proof of earned income:

  •  If you are paid every week, we will need to see your last five payslips
  •  If you are paid every two weeks, we will need to see your last three payslips
  •  If you are paid every month, we will need to see your last two payslips

If you have just started work we will accept:

  • your contract of employment,
  • or ask your employer to complete the employer’s pay-form (until your wage slips are available)


If you or your partner is self-employed, we need to see the accounts for the last financial year. If you have been trading for less than six months, please provide a summary of your trading records so far.

If you do not have accounts, you will have to complete a self-employed form.