Providing documents for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Providing proof of savings, investments and capital

If you or your partner are of working age and have £6,000 or more combined in savings, you will need to provide proof of your capital and savings.

The following documents are acceptable as proof of savings and capital

  • bank statements/building society books - they must show the full details of the transactions for the two months prior to the period for which you are claiming benefit
  • any other capital/investments such as bonds, stocks and shares, national savings certificates, ISAs, unit trusts, premium bonds
  • property
  • land interest
  • dividends