Providing evidence for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Proof of savings, investments and capital

You will need to  provide evidence of you and your partner’s capital and savings if:

  • either of you are of working age, and
  • have £6,000 or more combined in savings

The bank statements/building society books must show full details of the transactions for the two months prior to the time you are claiming benefit/support for.

You must also provide evidence of any other capital/investments such as bonds, stocks and shares, national savings certificates, ISAs, unit trusts, premium bonds other property, land interest or dividends that you and your partner have.

You cannot get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if you have more than £16,000 in capital unless you get Pension Credit Guaranteed.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Office

Civic Centre