What is adult social care?

Support for adults with care needs

The council's adult services advises and supports vulnerable adults who need help due to:

  • illness
  • old age
  • disability
  • at risk of losing their independence

What type of support can the council provide?

  • short term support: intensive support also known as reablement, available for a maximum of 6 weeks
  • long term support: ongoing support

Who is eligible for support?

There is a national eligibility criteria for care and support. We will carry out a care and support needs assessment. This determines whether you are eligible for support, such as if you can prepare food and drink for yourself. From the assessment we will identify your needs and the support we can provide.  

What if I don’t qualify for support?

If you don't qualify you can employ a private care worker through a home care agency. It is important to make a carefully informed choice. Choose a care agency that is registered and inspected by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). 

The types of support we can provide

All adults who appear to need care and support are entitled to a needs assessment. This may determine that short term intensive support (known as Reablement) should be put in place. Reablement support runs for up to to six weeks.