What is adult social care?

Adult social care is the support provided to adults with either physical or learning disabilities, or physical or mental illnesses.

The support provided could be for personal care such as:

  • eating
  • cleaning
  • getting dressed
  • or for domestic routines such as going to the shops

Adult social care can be provided through care services, including care homes or a carer helping in your home. These services are usually paid for privately by the person receiving the care, or by the local council.

Adult social care standards

We provide adult social care to the standards set out by The Care Quality Commission (CQC) and the Department of Health

The CQC is the social care regulator for England. They aim to ensure better care is provided for everyone, in hospital, care homes, or those receiving care at home. Their website provides information on their standards of quality and safety.

The Department of Health sets standards for social care. The Department of Communities and Local Government sets standards for housing-related support.

The Care Act

Adult social care has changed significantly since the introduction of The Care Act 2014. This new legislation sets out how people’s care and support needs should be met and is the most significant change in social care law for more than 60 years. These changes have already been introduced in Harrow. See more information about the Care Act.

Adult social care information and advice

The information and advice service enables people, carers and families to take control of their care and support. It enables them to decide how to fund it, and make well-informed choices. The service helps promote people's wellbeing by empowering them to make their own decisions. In addition it helps to prevent or delay people’s need for care and support. 

Adult social care services has partnered with Support and Wellbeing Services in Harrow also known as SWiSH. SWiSH aims to help people in Harrow access information about local services and advice to keep safe and well. Harrow Community Action (HCA) consortium oversees SWiSH. It's run in collaboration by five local charities:

  • Age UK Harrow
  • Harrow Association of Disabled People
  • Harrow Carers
  • Harrow Mencap
  • Mind in Harrow

Who can use SWiSH?

Anyone aged 18 or over living in Harrow or are considering moving to Harrow can call SWiSH for information and advice.

This includes people looking for help for themselves, as well as carers, staff in local organisations and anyone with concerns about someone else. Download an easy-read guide to SWiSH

Promoting individual wellbeing

The Act’s ‘Wellbeing principle’ sets out a local authority’s duty to ensure people’s wellbeing is at the centre of everything it does. A key part of the Act focuses on preventing or delaying the need for support. This can involve signposting people to any existing community resources, facilities and assets to help prevent their needs from escalating further. View our health and leisure pages.

Submit a comment

If you are unhappy about the quality of your social care, you have the right to raise a concern or make a complaint without fear of negative consequences.

Submit a comment about your social care