What is adult social care?

Apply for adult social care

If you have care and support needs, or know someone else who does, we may be able to help. First we need to carry out a needs assessment.

Before you start

What is the needs assessment?

This is an assessment to find out what kind of help you may need. You'll need to complete the application form which will:

  • Establish whether you are eligible for adult social care
  • Make a referral to the adult social care team
  • See how much you may need to pay towards your care

Apply for a needs assessment

Adult social care is not free for everyone. You may need to pay for some of your care. To work it out, we will ask you to provide your income and expenditure details. This could be details about your:

  • pension
  • rent
  • council tax

It is confidential and will only be shared with those involved in your care. After the assessment we will decide whether you need support, and whether we can provide it.

If we cannot provide the support, we will refer you to the most appropriate agency.

The care and support needs assessor

The person who will assess your case is an assessor. They are either a council employee in the social care services, or someone who works on their behalf. They will:

  • be trained to gather the information needed and to give you advice
  • carry identification including a photograph
  • always tell you their name and where to contact them

If relatives or friends are helping to look after you the assessor will usually discuss your situation with them too. This is only done with your consent. If someone provides care for you, they can ask for an assessment of their needs as a carer. We may need to help them so they can help you. This applies to children who are providing care, as well as adults.

You can have a friend or relative with you to help put forward your views. If you wish, we can put you in touch with a voluntary organisation that can provide someone to help you.

What happens after the assessment?

You can have your own copy of the assessment if you ask for one. We can also give a copy to your carer, with your consent.

Your carer can also request for a separate assessment of their needs. This is called a carer's assessment. We will translate your assessment into your preferred language or format.