Services provided for High Schools with pupils requiring reading support
The Harrow Schools Library Service helps schools to have great resources for their school library and classroom libraries. They give schools high-quality books that match what the students are learning and they keep up-to-date with any changes to the curriculum. The Service knows a lot about children's books and can also help with teaching materials. They offer a big selection of different kinds of books including fiction, poetry and information books. This helps students to enjoy reading and learning on their own. The goal is to encourage a love of reading and a passion for learning.
Description of service
This is a service devised to support High School libraries, providing resources for pupils who need extra support in reading and is designed to support:
- Children in Year 7 and above with a low reading age who require a range of books with a high level of interest but low reading difficulty
- Children with reading disorders such as dyslexia
- Children in Year 7 and 8 who are ‘Reluctant readers’
- Project Loan Service
Teachers/librarians may request a collection of books to meet the particular needs of the students requiring support from a collection of over 50,000 titles. Each collection will consist of approximately 30 attractive and up-to-date non-fiction, fiction, graphic novels or poetry books, worth up to £400. Cost of delivery and collection is included.
- Advisory Service by professionally qualified Librarian on all aspects of the design, organisation and administration of library collections and the creative use of books both in the library and the classroom, including author/illustrator events
- Support and practical assistance from the HSLS team with tasks such as classifying books, labelling or updating records on library management systems
- Discounted Purchase Scheme and Personal Shopper Service
- Teachers/librarians can make use of our discounted purchase scheme using their own budgets. This scheme enables schools to make limited budgets stretch further. All books are supplied ready for the shelf with labels, jackets or sleeves to extend their durability. We offer a personal shopper service and can order books on your behalf. We have access to specialist suppliers and bibliographic databases.
- Exhibition Collection of over 11,000 recommended and in-print children’s books for teachers to inspect prior to purchase. Advice from School Library Service staff during your visit and assistance with ordering books.
- CPD including Library Co-ordinators’ meetings and training courses
- Subscription to Pen&Inc magazine containing latest information on diverse and inclusive children’s books
- Newsletter and discounts on publications
- Helpdesk: Available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, during term-time and school holidays. An email facility is available outside these hours.
- Professional staff have qualifications recognised by the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals and are in membership of relevant professional organisations.
- Books ordered through the purchasing service are normally delivered within three weeks outside school holidays. Urgent orders can be arranged for you.
- Project loans will be delivered to your school as soon as possible following receipt of the request.
- Schools are responsible for the care of books on loan to them and for their return when requested by the School Library Service.
- We welcome enquiries regarding our services; please contact us by calling 0203 714 7739 and speak to our experienced team.
- The contract will run for one year from 1st April 2022 to 31st March 2023.
Charges for service
- £8.04 per pupil FTE place (+ VAT)
- Minimum number of 17 pupils required
- The charge is fully inclusive covering all aspects of the service
- Teachers/librarians may request one project collection at a time, and unlimited requests during the contract period.
For more information and to request a copy of the service level agreement please contact the Schools Library Service Manager - contact details at the end of this page.
Harrow School Library Service - supporting school libraries and staff through project loans, discounted purchase scheme and advisory services
School Library Service
Rachel Johnston - School Library Service ManagerAddress: Unit 4
1 Forward Drive