Harrow's Junior Book Award
The Harrow Junior Book award was launched in 2015 by the school library service. It takes place on an annual basis. It is a chance for schools to introduce year 5 and 6 pupils to some of the best new children's fiction and to vote for a winner at the end of the process.
Shortlisted titles for the Harrow Junior Book Award 2022
We are delighted to announce the shortlist of this year’s Harrow Junior Book Award, an annual prize for the best children’s fiction book decided by children in years 5 and 6.
This year the shortlist consists of six challenging and thought-provoking reads. They were selected from the most talented and exciting authors currently writing for children. Taking part in the award is not only an excellent way to promote reading for pleasure, but also encourages young readers to broaden their reading experience by exploring different writing styles and fiction genres.
Included in this year’s selection are
- The Voyage of the Sparrowhawk by Natasha Farrant: a page-turning adventure
- When Secrets Set Sail by Sita Brahmachari: a ghostly mystery
- Moon Dog by Jane Elson involving puppy smugglers: an exciting animal adventure story
- After the War by Tom Palmer: true stories of children that survived the holocaust and were resettled in the Lake District
- The Night Bus Hero by Onjali Q Raύf: explores themes of homelessness and bullying in a ‘modern fable’ of family and friendships
- The Unbelievable Biscuit Factory by James Harris: a hilarious and surreal tale of a town brainwashed by a super-secret science lab, a band practice interrupted by orange fluffy monsters and three children who save the world on a flying bus.
The judging of the award takes place from November to May each year culminating in an award ceremony attended by all the participating schools with a guest of honour. We are delighted to announce that last year’s winning author, Elizabeth Laird will be joining us for this special celebration (date to be confirmed).
Please contact Harrow School Library Service if your school would like to take part in this year’s award: 0203 714 7739 email@example.com
How to participate
Participation in the award is free to all schools who have subscribed to the full subscription service. Other schools can participate by subscribing to the SLA for Enrichment Activities.