Apply for council tax support

Council tax support is financial assistance available to low income households to help you pay your council tax. It replaced council tax benefit in April 2013. The scheme is reviewed on annual basis.

How to apply

Applications for council tax support can only be submitted via MyHarrow Account. To apply please use the button below, which will take you to the sign-in page. If you do not have an account yet you can register for one on the same page.


Supporting documents

For guidance on the types of evidence you must provide to support your application please see the providing evidence for housing benefit and council tax support page.

This includes links to forms you can download to help you prove your income from earnings, self-employment and rent liability.

Who is eligible?

To qualify for council tax support you must be the person responsible for paying the council tax or the partner of that person. If you are a couple only one of you needs to make a claim.

The following groups of people are not eligible:

  • anyone who has capital (savings, investments) over £16,000
  • most full-time students - if a student is not entitled to council tax support, but they have a partner who is not a student, the partner may be able to submit a claim

To find out if you qualify please use the council tax support calculator. The results are approximate and are designed to give you an idea of how much you should expect to pay towards your council tax.

How is council tax support calculated?

For information on how council tax support is calculated please refer to the council tax support scheme 2019/20


How we will share your information
We will use the information you provide when you apply for housing benefit, Council Tax Support or Emergency Relief to process your application. We will also use the information you provide for other purposes. For further detail please download our privacy notice.

Council tax support dispute and appeals

Civic Centre