Single person discount

If you are the only adult living in your property you may qualify for a 25% Council Tax reduction. The property must be your sole or main residence.

If your sole or main residence is in another property, you are unlikely to qualify for a discount on your second home.  

If you own your property and are claiming single person discount for a period in between tenancies, you might not qualify for it. However if you have taken up residency in it, you might qualify. For more information see Sole or Main Residence.

Before you start

  • You will need to have your Council Tax reference number
  • Before you can access the form, you will be asked to sign in to your MyHarrow Account. If you do not have an account, please select 'Complete a form without logging in'.

Apply for a single person discount

If your application is accepted we will apply the discount from the date of the application.

It can take up to 50 days to process your application. You must continue to pay your current bill while you are waiting for a decision. You can check the progress through your MyHarrow account.

Backdating your application

If you would like your application to be backdated more than 183 days due to a person moving out, please provide:
  • the new address for the person who has vacated
  • the date the person vacated
You can send this using the evidence upload form.

Households with two or more adults

If there are two or more adults you may still qualify for a discount if some or all of the occupants can be disregarded. People can be disregarded if they are:

  • students
  • severely mentally impaired
  • carers
  • diplomats or visiting forces

You will need to apply for the correct type of discount and provide supporting evidence.

For more information see the Council Tax discounts and exemptions page.

Cancelling your discount

View information on how to cancel a discount or exemption.