Planning permission for demolition

If you intend to demolish, or substantially demolish any unlisted buildings within a conservation area, you will require planning permission.

During the application process for any planning application, planning officers will consider and determine applications for planning permission with input from conservation officers and the Conservation Area Advisory Committee.

The Conservation Area Advisory Committee is a voluntary group which has an expressed interest in the protection of the historic environment, and includes:

  • architects
  • residents associations
  • historical groups
  • amenity societies

They meet monthly to discuss and give their views on current applications in, or within the setting of, conservation areas.

Within a conservation area there are some additional requirements for planning permission for residential buildings. For further information, please download the conservation area residential planning guidelines.