Club premises certificate

Make changes to a certificate

Premises licences and club premises certificates can be varied for the following:

  • change the designated premises supervisor on premises licences
  • change the licensable activities
  • change the times on the licence or certificate
  • amend the approved plan to allow for structural changes

There is a specific procedure to change a designated premises supervisor.

Minor variation applications

To make a minor variation you must submit your application to the licensing authority with your fee of £89. You then need to display the white public notice on your premises for 10 working days. 

You will also need to return the original premises licence or club premises certificate.

Most changes can be made by completing the minor variation procedure form online or by downloading the paper version.

What you can't do

You cannot use the Minor Variation procedure to:

  • licence an area that was not already licensed
  • apply to sell alcohol or to extend the hours to sell alcohol
  • make significant structural changes to your premises

To do the above you will have to apply for a new licence or use the full variation procedure.

The licensing authority will decide which of the responsible authorities to consult with.

We will make a decision within five working days of the end of the consultation date. If you do not hear from us within that time you can assume your application has been refused.

There is no appeal against our decision although you can apply for a full variation application if your minor variation application is refused.

Other changes

You can apply to transfer the ownership of a premises licence. You can do this by completing the online transfer premises form

The police may object to a transfer of ownership on the grounds of preventing crime.

You must also notify the licensing authority if there is a change in the name or address of the premises licence holder by downloading and completing the application form for a minor variation to a premises licence or club premises.

You do not need to tell us about a change in the name of the premises, but it helps if you do so.