Apply for a personal licence

Key points of a personal licence

  • A personal licence allow you to sell alcohol on behalf of any business that has a premises licence, or a club premises certificate.
  • You do not have to hold a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol.
  • Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a designated premises supervisor, who holds a personal licence. 
  • Anyone who does not hold a personal licence must be authorised to sell alcohol by a personal licence holder. 
  • There is no such requirement for the supply of alcohol in a members’ club.


Application criteria for a personal licence

You must be aged 18 years or over, and (in almost all cases) hold a licensing qualification - for example, a BII Level II examination certificate or a similar accredited qualification such as the EDI NCPLH level 2 qualification.

If you are applying for a personal licence, you must obtain an accredited qualification first.

The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol. Personal licence qualification providers are accredited by the Home Secretary. View a list of accredited personal licence qualification providers.

How to apply for a personal licence

You will need to provide a basic criminal conviction disclosure form from the Disclosure and Barring service.

You will need to then send the following to Harrow Council:

  • the completed application forms
  • your original personal licence qualification certificate
  • photocopy or scanned copy of your "Right to Work in the UK" - see the application form for further details
  • the original Disclosure and Barring service document, which must not be more than one month old
  • two passport-style photographs. One photograph must be endorsed as a true likeness of you and signed on the back by a solicitor, or a person of standing in the community or with a professional qualification
  • The fee of £37 can be paid using the Licence payment form. Payment must be made at the time you submit the licence.

Licensing team

Address: Harrow Council
Licensing Team
PO Box 1358