Club premises certificate

If you run a social, sporting or political members club, like a working men’s club or British Legion, you need to apply for a club premises certificate.

What is the certificate for?

  • The certificate conditionally allows for the supply of alcohol to members and to sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence.
  • It doesn’t need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor
  • The police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry to the club because the premises are private.
  • It allows the provision of some regulated entertainment like musical performances or film screenings to members or guests.

Any regulated entertainment to more than 500 people or which takes place between 11pm and 5am must be authorised by the certificate. 

Certificates are not needed to provide late night refreshments to members of a recognised club. Contact our licensing team for clarification. Their details are at the bottom of this page.


To qualify for a certificate, your club must make sure that:

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges
  • the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • it has at least 25 members

You may have to pay Machine Games Duty on any gaming machines you have on your premises.

Displaying your certificate

You must prominently display the club premises certificate in your club.

Fines and penalties

You can be jailed for up to 6 months and fined if you provide alcohol or entertainment without the necessary certificate or without following its conditions.