Premises licence

A Premises Licence will be required for any premises where any:

  • licensable activities are going to take place
  • or where retail sales of alcohol take place

Some activities between 8am and 11pm no longer need a licence, such as:

  • live music
  • theatre performances
  • dance
  • some indoor sports
  • entertainment provided by or on behalf of a local authority, school or hospital

For more information you can view information on entertainment licences.

Premises Licences will be granted to a named licence holder. And where the licence includes the sale of alcohol, it must specify a Designated Premises Supervisor. That individual must also have a Personal Licence.

Licences are normally subject to conditions such opening times and age identification policies.

Premises Licences do not need renewing. There is an annual fee payable on the anniversary of the grant of the licence.

The fee is set by the government and is linked to the rateable value of the premises. Your premises licence may be suspended if an annual fee is not paid when requested.

There is information available about making changes to Premises Licences.

We strongly recommend that off-licences become members of the Responsible Traders’ Scheme operated by the Trading Standards Service.