You will receive a summons if:
- you didn't pay the correct amount as per the instalments shown on your bill
- you didn't pay as per the due date shown on your bill on more than one occasion
- your payments didn't reach your council tax account by the due date when the summons was issued
The summons will advise you of your debt and a court hearing date. If you agree that you are responsible to pay the debt, please pay as set out in the details below.
Receiving a summons for unpaid Council Tax doesn't affect your credit rating.
What to do when you receive a summons
You have a choice to either:
- pay the full balance including the summons costs. If you pay in full before the court date you will avoid incurring the £10 Liability Order costs.
- pay the instalment amount in the letter included with your summons.
If you choose either of the above options, there is no need to contact us. You can make the payment either online or by calling 0208 424 1220.
What to do if you cannot pay the summons
If you are unable to pay the balance in full or pay as indicated in the letter included with your summons, you can request to:
- Pay the missed instalments and the summons costs. Then continue to pay according to the instalments stated on your original bill.
- Set up a payment plan for up to 6 months. This payment plan will only be approved in certain circumstances. You may need to provide further information.
- Have deductions taken from your earnings.
- Have deductions taken from your benefits.
If none of the above options are suitable, select 'None of the above' from the options on the form accessed from the link “Request a Council Tax payment plan” shown below. You can then make a payment offer. If your offer is refused, the council will decide what further recovery action to take.
What will happen if no payment plan is agreed?
The council will ask the court for a liability order. This allows us to recover the debt using different methods including enforcement agents. You will receive a liability order asking you to pay the balance within 14 days. For more details see how we recover Council Tax debts.