You will receive a summons if:
you didn't pay the correct amount as per the instalments shown on your bill
you didn't pay as per the due date shown on your bill on more than one occasion
your payments didn't reach your council tax account by the due date when the summons was issued
The summons will advise you of your debt and a court hearing date. You do not need to attend court if you agree that you are responsible to pay the debt and set up a payment plan.
Receiving a summons doesn't affect your credit rating.
What to do when you receive a summons
You have a choice to either:
- pay the full balance including the summons costs. If you pay in full before the court date you will avoid incurring the £10 Liability Order costs.
- pay the amount in three instalments, as shown on the letter included with the summons
If you choose either of the above options there is no need to contact us. You can make the payment either online or by calling 0208 424 1220.
Coronavirus (COVID 19 update)
Due to the current national restrictions in place your case may be adjourned to a subsequent hearing. You will be notified directly of any changes in date and time. Payment can continue as set out above.
What to do if you cannot pay the summons
If you cannot pay in full or over three months, you can request to:
- Pay the missed instalments and the summons charge. Then continue to pay according to the instalments stated on your original bill.
- Set up a payment plan for up to 6 months. This payment plan will only be approved in certain circumstances. You may need to provide further information.
- Have deductions taken from your earnings
- Have deductions taken from your benefits
If none of these options are suitable, select 'None of the above' from the options on the form. You can then make a payment offer. If your offer is refused the council will decide what further recovery action to take.
What will happen if no payment plan is agreed?
The council will ask the court for a liability order. This allows us to recover the debt using different methods including enforcement agents. You will receive a liability order asking you to pay the balance within 14 days. For more details see how we recover Council Tax debts.