Understanding my business rates bill

Business rates annual bills 2020/21

Payments received by 14th February 2020 are shown on your bill. If you have made a payment since that date, this will not be included on your bill.

If there has been a change to your liability since 14th February 2020 this will not be shown your annual bill and a new bill showing the changes(s) will be sent after the 1st week in April 2020. The new instalments on your bill do not include any balance outstanding from 2019/2020 but any credit as at 14th February 2020 will have already been used to reduce your instalments for 2020/2021.

Why does my bill show a balance outstanding?

Any unsummonsed balance still owing from 2019/20 or earlier must be paid in full by 31st March 2020. Check your last bill to see when your instalments are due as there may be a final payment due on a date in March 2020.
If you were previously issued with a Summons and the outstanding balance for this is already with Enforcement Agents, you must contact them to make payment. If your balance is subject to a payment arrangement with us, ensure your arrangement is up to date and continue with the payments in addition to your new Bill instalments to avoid recovery action. If this applies to you, you will see a message on your annual bill stating that this balance is ‘subject to court proceedings’.

If you have made a payment after 14th February 2020 it will not show on your bill. If the payment concerned has put your account in credit, deduct the amount of the overpayment from your April 2020 instalment and continue to pay your instalments per your annual bill from May 2020 onwards.

I want a refund for the credit on my account instead of it being used to reduce what I owe for 2020/21

Follow the link to download the Refund Request Form, complete it and then upload it using the evidence form. If you request a refund your bill for 2020/2021 will have to be recalculated and this will increase your monthly payments. This is because they are currently reduced by the amount of the credit concerned.  You will not get a new bill until after the first week in April 2020.

How can I make payment?

You can view methods of payments by following this link to our website www.harrow.gov.uk/businessrates or see the back of your bill.You can set up a Direct Debit Payments by following this link: www.harrow.gov.ukbratesdirectdebit If you were previously paying by Direct Debit and this has not been cancelled, this will automatically continue to be your method of payment and you will not need to set up a new Direct Debit instruction for the new financial year.

I want to pay over 12 months not 10

You have two options to pay over 12 months:

  1. To set up a Direct Debit over 12 months
  2. To pay by other ways submit a request via the general enquiry form so we can set up a payment plan through to March 2021.

If changing your payment plan, all payments are due on the 1st of the month. So you need to pay the 1st instalment as requested on your original bill and then follow the new plan extended to March 2021, as detailed on your revised bill. This will be issued after 1st April.

I can’t pay on the 1st of the month

There is no alternative date for Business Rate Payers.

My bill does not show my exemption/relief?

If you have submitted an application in the last 4-6 weeks your application may still be awaiting processing. Whilst applying for any exemption/relief you must continue to pay as per your bill as this is not grounds for withholding payment. Once your application has been successfully processed a revised bill will be issued and your future instalments will be recalculated. If you have been awarded a full exemption and have made a payment, you can request a refund.

My empty property is now occupied what do I need to do?

Tell us about this change by completing the online form. Following receipt and the records being updated, the Ratepayer will receive a revised or a new bill as confirmation of the updated Business Rate records.

Why have I been charged for Crossrail?

If your business premises have a rateable value of over £70,000 you will have to pay a supplement to cover the costs of Crossrail. Please refer to Crossrail for more information.

What if I want to appeal my rateable value?

There is a business rates appeal process in England, known as check, challenge, appeal.  The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) deals with checks and challenges, while an independent Valuation Tribunal handles appeals. For more information see the Valuation Office website

I’ve got an appeal outstanding on my rateable value; do I have to pay this bill?

Yes. The current bill remains payable until a decision has been reached.

What are the multipliers for 2020/21

The standard non-domestic rating multiplier is 51.2p. The small business non-domestic rating multiplier is 49.9p

When will I get my new bill with the changes on it?

If you reported a change affecting your Business Rates liability after 14th February 2020, any amended bill for 2020/21 will not be sent until after the 1st April 2020.