If you pay business rates you may be eligible for a business rate relief or exemption. Below is a list of the available reliefs and exemptions.
Small business rate relief
If your rateable value is between £1 and £24599, and you only occupy one main commercial property in England and Wales, you may qualify for small business rate relief. For further information see the small business rate relief page.
Supporting small business relief
This relief supports small business who have received large increases in the Business Rates after losing small business relief. Find out more about supporting small business relief.
Charities or trustees of a charity
Charities or trustees of a charity may be entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates if the property they occupy is wholly or mainly used for the relevant charity purposes. To qualify the organisation will normally have to be registered as a charity with the Charity Commission or comply with the objectives of a charitable organisation.
Other types of organisations that may qualify are:
- Voluntary Aided schools
- Girl Guide and Boy Scout groups
- Societies registered under the Friendly Societies Act
Community Amateur Sports Clubs that are registered with the Inland Revenue as a (CASC) are entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates. For further details visit Gov.uk.
Discretionary rate relief
The council has the discretion to award additional relief to charities and non-profit making organisations. For further details see the Discretionary rate relief policy document.
Hardship relief supports businesses who are going through financial hardship. Find out more about business rates hardship relief.
Harrow's local discretionary revaluation support scheme
Harrow's local discretionary revaluation support scheme supports businesses facing the steepest increases in their bills after the 2017 revaluation. Find out more about the local discretionary revaluation scheme.
To apply you will need to:
- Download and complete the appropriate form
- Scan the completed form and relevant documents using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
- Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer eg by email or text
- Attach the image and answer the questions on the evidence form
- Discretionary rate relief application
- Business rates hardship relief application
- Relief for charitable organisations application
- Empty property exemption application
- Small business rate relief application
- Retail relief application
- Local discretionary revaluation support scheme