Business rate reliefs and exemptions

If you pay business rates you may be eligible for a business rate relief or exemption. Below is a list of the available reliefs and exemptions, followed by the application forms.

Small business rate relief

In general terms, if the rateable value of your premises is £12,000 or less and you occupy only one main commercial property in England, you will be eligible for small business rate relief. For rateable values between £12,001 and £15,000, a tapered amount of relief applies. For rateable values of £15,000 and over but less than £51,000, small business rate relief does not apply, but Business Rates liability will be calculated using the small business rates multiplier.

Find out more about small business rate relief.

Supporting small business relief

The Supporting Small Business Relief was established for the revaluation in 2017 and has now been extended for the 2023 Revaluation.

The purpose is to phase in the impact to ratepayers who experienced large increases in their rateable value in the new rating list which meant they lose some or all Small Business Relief. The amount of relief will be a maximum of £50.00 per month, or £600 per year throughout the duration of the rating list which ends on 31.3.2026. For full details of the scheme view the Supporting Small Business Relief Policy.

There is no need to make an application for this reduction as the award is automatic. The award for 2023/24 has now been made, and future entitlement will be calculated for the 2024/25 Annual bill which will be issued in March 2024.

Empty (Unoccupied) Property Exemptions

If your property is unoccupied, you may be eligible for an unoccupied property exemption. Find out more from Empty property exemptions for businesses.

If your business premises are empty, please provide evidence to support this using the Business rates evidence form.

Transitional Relief 

Transitional Relief will be automatically awarded for eligible premises. For further information see Transitional Relief.

Relief for charitable organisations

Charities, or trustees of a charity, may be entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates. The reduction depends on the property being occupied either wholly or mainly for the charity's purposes. To qualify, the organisation will normally need to be registered as a charity with the Charity Commission or comply with the objectives of a charitable organisation.

Other types of organisations that may qualify are:

  • Voluntary Aided schools
  • Girl Guide and Boy Scout groups
  • Societies registered under the Friendly Societies Act

Charity shops may also be eligible for relief where they are used wholly or mainly for the sale of goods donated to the charity and the proceeds of sale are applied for the purposes of the charity.

Community Amateur Sports Clubs that are registered with the Inland Revenue as a (CASC) are entitled to apply for an 80% reduction in their business rates.

See below for application forms

Discretionary rate relief

The council has the discretion to award additional relief to charities and non-profit making organisations. You can view the Discretionary Rate Relief Policy. Please contact us for further information using the Business rates evidence form. 

Hardship relief

This relief is intended to support businesses that are experiencing hardship. You can view the Hardship Relief Policy.  Please contact us for further information using the Business rates evidence form.

Business Rates Retail, Hospitality and Leisure relief

Business Rates Retail, Hospitality and Leisure relief applies to eligible occupied properties from 1 April 2023. The relief will be 75% of your bill after other reliefs have been applied. This scheme has now been extended to 2024/25 and will cease on 31 March 2025, although eligibility may cease from an earlier date, should your business cease to meet the qualifying conditions sooner.

There is no rateable value limit that applies to the 2023/24 or 2024/25 Scheme.

You can view the policy for 2024-25.

If you think you may qualify, please submit an application to us now using the link given below to access an electronic application form.

If you are already getting retail, hospitality and leisure relief for 2023/24, it will be awarded automatically on your annual bill for 2024/25, unless, as in accordance with guidance, we believe that your business would reasonably be expected to exceed the £110,000 cap or is now an excluded business.

Find out more and apply for Business Rates Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief

Heating networks business rate relief scheme

This relief was introduced from 1st April 2022 and has become mandatory from 1st April 2024. You can view the Heat network business rate relief policy.

If you believe you may be entitled to this relief, please send details of why you believe you qualify using our Business rates evidence form.


To apply you will need to:

  • Download and complete the appropriate form below
  • Scan the completed form and relevant documents using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  • Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer e.g. by email or text
  • Attach the image and answer the questions on the evidence form

Application forms