Reporting a change for housing benefit and council tax support

What happens after you report a change

After you have reported a change, you will receive an email within 24 hours to confirm its receipt. The email will also say what documents you need to provide, if any.

When we have assessed your change of circumstance we will send you an entitlement letter explaining your new entitlement and how your claim was calculated. If you would like help to understand how your claim was assessed or if you do not understand the entitlement letter, view our page on understanding your benefit entitlement.

If the change affects your council tax support entitlement, you will also be issued with a new council tax bill shortly after we process it. You can view your new entitlement and council tax bill on MyHarrow Account.

Providing documents

If we have requested for you to provide documents to us, please visit the One Stop Shop at Civic Centre 1 to provide this information. You can leave the documents in the post box in the Civic Centre reception area. This is open 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. You will need to write your claim reference number (a seven digit number) on any documents you send in. This will help us to make a decision on your claim quicker.

How long will it take to assess my change in circumstance?

We aim to process a change of circumstance within 4 weeks of you reporting the change.

Checking the progress of your application

We will make a decision on your application within 4 weeks of you reporting the change.

If you would like to check the progress of your application please sign in to your MyHarrow Account. You will be able to view the stage of your application and any letters we may have sent you on the account.

Please do not contact us to check the progress of your application until after the 4 week period has passed. This will enable us to process your application more quickly

Housing benefit and council tax support overpayments

Some changes in circumstance may mean the amount of housing benefit and/or council tax support you are entitled to will be reduced.  If you don’t tell us about the change there is a chance you will be paid too much housing benefit and/or council tax support. If this happens you’ll have to pay back the difference – see our overpayments page. There are no time limits on how far back the benefits service can go to reclaim overpayments.

What should I do if I disagree with my entitlement?

If you disagree with our decision regarding your housing benefit or council tax support, you can dispute it. Further information can be found on our dedicated disputes and appeals pages.

View and check your housing benefit claim online

If you qualify for housing benefit you can view and check your claim online via MyHarrow Account.

Reviewing your housing benefit application

We take steps to identify changes that haven’t been reported to us. If we are informed of changes that will reduce your entitlement to housing benefit and/or council tax support, you will have to pay back the overpayment.

Housing benefits and council tax support office

Civic Centre