Service update from Building Control - Building Control is open and operating business as usual
As with a number of organisations we are constantly monitoring the health of our staff and the services that can be provided due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Whilst every effort is being made to plan for running as normal a service as possible we will have to, if as predicted, reduce the service provided and prioritise our workloads as staffing levels reduce.
In advance can we thank you for your patience when emailing and/or phoning the office. We will endeavour to deal with your enquiry as efficiently as possible with the resources available.
Please see our Harrow Building Control – Coronavirus update.
In Memory of James King
It is with the deepest regret that we must inform you that Jim King, Head of Building Control passed away over the weekend 24/25th July. Jim was very much respected, admired, and liked by his colleagues and his fellow professionals.
Should you wish to make a donation in his memory, the family have set up a donation page for the British Heart Foundation. https://giftofhope.bhf.org.uk/In-Memory/James-Jim-King
Harrow Building Control is operating a full site inspection service. Please note when requesting inspections that surveyors will follow social distancing and other Covid 19 guidelines. Contractors should be aware and be following guidelines in respect of working on site.
When arranging a site inspection please consider the following:
- If anyone at the site (owner or contractors) has been ill and displaying coronavirus symptoms;
- Could the inspection be carried out in the absence of the occupants/contractors if necessary;
- Will there be vulnerable people on the premises.
If the answer is yes to the first question then the inspection should seek to be delayed. If the answer is yes to the last question then a discussion should be had on how best to proceed safely.
Other enquiries will be dealt with the available resources but there may a delay in responding.
In advance can we thank you for your patience when emailing and/or phoning the office (0208 736 6058).
If you are involved with operations on site, particularly essential maintenance or building work, which will need to continue, please read the best practice guidance document produced by Construction Leadership Council for safe site working for information and we recommend that you adopt the proposed measures as quickly as possible.
If you are looking to re-start work please read this advice from the Federation of Master Builders.
Harrow Building Control schedule of fees
The charges for our standard fees can be found below:
- New Dwellings (New Build and Conversions)
- Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling
- Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling - Simplified Version for Householders
- Non-Domestic New Build, Extensions and Alterations
For an individually assessed fee, please contact our Building Control team using the contact details on this webpage.
Making a payment
- There is now a new facility to pay online. You will need to know the type of application and reference number. If you are unsure of this please call the office via the details at the end of the page.
- To pay the fee by debit or credit card, please call us on 020 8736 6058 or email [email protected].
- We can also accept cheques, however, due to staffing availability there may be significant delays processing cheques and subsequently the application.
Cheques should be:
- made payable to Harrow Council
- include details of the site address and the application reference
- sent to the Building Control office Civic Centre, PO Box 37, Station Road, Harrow, HA1 2XY
- marked for the attention of Planning and Building Control
Revised Approved Documents
Updated versions 2013 and 2015:
- Approved Document A
- Approved Document B Vol 1 (2019) New
- Approved Document B Vol 2 (2019) New
- Approved Document B Vol 1
- Approved Document B Vol 2
- Approved Document C
- Approved Document D
- Approved Document E
- Approved Document F
- Approved Document G
- Approved Document H
- Approved Document J
- Approved Document K
- Approved Document L1A
- Approved Document L1B
- Approved Document L2A
- Approved Document L2B
- Approved Document M Vol 1
- Approved Document M Vol 2
- Approved Document P
- Approved Document Q
- Approved Document R
- Approved Document 7 amended 2019
Please visit GOV.UK to see other Approved Documents.
Building control guides
- Householder guidance
- A guide to extending your home
- A guide to renovating your home
- Building control customer charter
- Guidance Note 2014/2 - BC Charges Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling
- Guidance Note - Approved Document G (2010 edition)
- Guidance Note - Chimney Breast Removal
- Guidance Note - Fire Safety in Dwelling houses
- Guidance Note - Fire Safety in Buildings other than Dwelling houses
- Guidance Note - Regularisation Applications
- Guidance Note - Roofing
- Guidance Note - Domestic electrical work
- Find a registered electrician
- U-Value Guide - Guidance on U-values for domestic construction
- Building work, replacements and repairs to your home
- The Party Wall Act Explanatory Booklet
- Is your home polluting Harrow's Rivers?
- Fire Safety - A clear and impartial guide (New)
- Green Homes Grant - Householder and Contractor information
Useful building control web sites
- The Planning Portal
- Local Authority Building Control
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- The Chartered Institute of Building
- Communities and Local Government
- The Health & Safety Executive (HSE)
- NICEIC Group Limited
- ELECSA Limited
- NAPIT Registration Limited
- The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors
- Competent Roofer
- Thames Water (Developer Services)
- Change of use
Building controlAddress: Civic Centre
PO Box 37