What to do if you think you will be homeless
Under the Homeless Reduction Act 2017 every local authority is required to advise all people threatened with homelessness within 56 days.
It is important to contact us as soon as possible if you think you are going to be homeless. This will help us to prevent you from becoming homeless and enable you to take up any housing options that may be offered. If you have rent or mortgage arrears, issues around repairs or any other housing problem, we will try to help you.
If we are unable to prevent you from becoming homeless or you do not take up one of our housing options, we will assess your situation under homelessness law.
If the council has to place you in emergency accommodation when you become homeless, this could be in bed & breakfast or hostel accommodation and will probably be outside of Harrow or even London
If you have children or are pregnant and you are placed in bed and breakfast, we aim to keep your stay there to a minimum.
It is unlikely that we will offer accommodation to single adults or adult couples without dependent children. If this describes your situation you may have to find a room to rent in a shared house. Due to the shortage of housing in London, if you are placed in emergency accommodation, and then temporary accommodation, it will probably be outside London.
Appointments will be made with your allocated housing advisor between 9am - 4pm. If you think you need one please get in touch.
Housing options for homeless people
The earlier you can let us know about your housing problem, the more we can do. We cannot offer council accommodation to most of the people applying to us each year, so you may have to consider one of the following housing options:
- Private rented accommodation: the Housing Advice Team can provide a comprehensive advice service to assist in seeking and securing private rented accommodation.
- Low cost home ownership: a part buy/part rent scheme which enables people to get onto the housing ladder through buying a share in a home. For more information see the shared ownership page.
You can also see information on finding a home on the Locata website.
We offer the following services:
- Mediation: an external mediation service designed to try and prevent homelessness wherever appropriate.
- Homelessness advice: a practical service for people who are at risk of losing their home across all tenures, private renters, owner occupiers. If you think you may need this service please telephone the Housing Advice Team.
- A scheme for victims of domestic or other violence who need additional security measures to be installed into their properties called Sanctuary
Firm Foundation charity
The Firm Foundation charity runs a single homeless drop-in service where they provide advice on accommodation and support. The service is available every Wednesday from 2-4pm. Find out more about the Firm Foundation service.