It is important that you pay your business rates on or before the due date.
You will receive a Reminder Notice if:
- you didn't pay the correct amount and on the correct date as shown on your bill
- your payment didn't reach your business rates account by the time the reminder was issued
- you missed a payment
We don't send further Reminder Notices for each missing or late instalment. Only one will be issued within a financial year. If you continue to miss payments or pay late, you will be sent either a:
What to do if you paid the correct amount on the correct date
If you have paid the correct amount as stated on your bill and on the correct date, you will need to check if the payment has cleared. You can do so by checking your bank statement. If the payment has cleared but the council has not received it you will need to provide proof of your payment so that we can update your account.
You can provide the following proofs of payment:
- your bank or credit card statement showing the payment
- a receipt of the payment
- any other valid proof that you have to clearly show the payment in question
You will need to submit the proof with a cover letter, explaining which payment has gone missing, using the evidence form.
What to do if you didn't pay the correct amount or missed a payment
You must pay the amount shown on the Reminder Notice within seven days to bring your account up to date. You must also ensure that you pay your future monthly instalments on time to avoid debt recovery action.
You can pay the arrears using one of the following payment methods:
- Online - pay the full amount of the arrears online. You then need to pay your next instalment on or before the due date stated on your original bill.
- Telephone payment line - pay the full amount of the arrears via the telephone payment line. Tel: 020 8424 1220. You then need to pay your next instalment on or before the due date stated on your original bill.
- Direct Debit