Business rates summons
When you receive a summons, you lose your rights to pay in instalments and you will need to set up a special arrangement to pay the balance on your account, plus the summons charge. You have a choice of three options alone to pay the balance. The summons will advise you of your debt and a court hearing date. You don't need to attend court if you agree that you are responsible to pay the debt.
Why has a summons been issued?
- You haven't paid the correct amount of your instalment and on the correct date as shown on your bill, Reminder Notice or Final Notice
- Your payment had not reached your account when the summons was issued
What to do if you have paid the correct amount on the correct date
If you have paid the correct amount as stated on your bill and on the correct date, you will need to check if the payment has cleared. You can do so by checking your bank statement. Alternatively you can view your My Harrow Account online statement. If the payment has cleared but is not showing on you MyHarrow Account you will need to provide proof of your payment so that we can update your account.
You can provide the following proofs of payment:
- your bank or credit card statement showing the payment
- a receipt for the payment
- any other valid proof that you have to clearly show the payment in question
Please submit the proof with a cover letter, explaining which payment has gone missing, using the evidence form.
What to do if you didn't pay the correct amount on the correct date
If you didn't pay your council tax as billed, you will need to set up a payment arrangement or pay the full balance to avoid further debt recovery action. Please choose of the payment arrangements below:
- Pay the balance including the summons charge in one payment online.
- Pay the balance including the summons charge in three monthly instalments. To choose this option please request a payment arrangement.
- In certain circumstances we can set up a payment arrangement beyond the three monthly instalment plan. Further information on your circumstances may have to be provided. To choose this option request a payment arrangement.