All schools are encouraged to develop travel plans to promote and encourage safe, active and sustainable travel on the school journey.
Active travel maps showing walking distances and public transport have been provided to each school. To request one please contact your school.
What is a school travel plan?
A school travel plan (STP) is a package of practical initiatives to encourage active, healthy, safe and sustainable travel as an alternative to car use on the school journey. A STP is developed, maintained and monitored by the whole school community. It is based on consultation with pupils, staff, parents and governors in partnership with the wider community.
There are elements that every STP should contain, which include:
- survey results showing how pupils and staff currently travel to school, and how they would like to travel to school
- objectives and specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and time specific (SMART) targets
- an action plan of activities and measures that will help make journeys to the school safer, healthier and more environmentally friendly
- a programme of monitoring and review
- support and signatures from the head teacher, chair of the governors and other relevant stakeholders
STPs are living documents that evolve as initiatives and activities are implemented at the school and as pupils’ travel needs change.
Benefits of a school travel plan
The main aim of an STP is to reduce single occupancy car use on the school journey. Increasing sustainable travel helps to reduce congestion and pollution, as well as improving the health and fitness of children.
Schools with an accredited travel plan can access extra funding and support from TfL to further develop their travel plans.
By implementing a travel plan, schools can demonstrate how they are working to keep children safe, improve health and wellbeing, and reduce environmental impact.
An STP can also contribute towards pupils’ personal development by building confidence and life skills. STP's also enable schools to further develop links and relationships with the local community.
Free support for schools
Schools in Harrow can access free support and advice from a dedicated travel planner in Harrow Council. For more infomation please contact the Travel Planning team.
Schools in Harrow are encouraged to develop school travel plans using Transport for London’s STARS scheme.