Living a Healthy Life with Long-Term Health Conditions
The Expert Patient Programme: A Chronic Disease Self-Management Course
Living with a long-term health condition can be tough. Caring for someone with a health condition can sometimes mean you forget to care for yourself.
Public Health Harrow wants to support our residents who are facing these challenges.
We run free, simple workshops where you will learn:
- ways to help take back control
- do the things that you want to do
- build your confidence and motivation
- better manage your health condition
- have a healthier, better quality of life
What do you learn at the workshops?
We cover a few different subjects each week. They include things like:
- coping with pain and fatigue
- ways to relax and get a good night's sleep
- dealing with difficult emotions, stress and depression
- how to communicate better with family, friends and medical professionals
- making decisions about your treatment and care
- managing and using your medications
- exploring ways to exercise appropriately with a health condition
- preventing falls
- information and tools to help you make choices about healthy eating
- setting weekly goals
- the symptom cycle
- your future plans
Who can attend?
Anyone who lives in Harrow or works for Harrow Council, aged 18 and over who is living with a long-term health condition. The programme is also available to carers of people with long-term conditions.
Do you need to have a specific health condition?
No. The course is suitable for any long-term physical health condition or mild to moderate mental health condition. Some examples include:
- Long covid
- Heart disease
- Back pain
- Multiple sclerosis
How long is the course, and where will it be?
You will attend a small group workshop once a week for six weeks. Each workshop is 2.5 hours long which includes 20 minutes of break-time. Courses are either in-person at a community venue or virtual via a small group video call. If you are joining a virtual course, there is an additional 1-hour introduction session to make sure that everyone can join the video call successfully. And to discuss the supporting information that will be sent to you.
How much does it cost?
Nothing. The course is free. You will also receive a free copy of the book titled: Living a healthy life with long-term conditions by Kate Lorig DRPH et al.
To sign-up for a course or for more information, email us at email@example.com or call 0208 736 6923.