Our approach to equality and diversity
Harrow prides itself in being one of the most ethnically and religiously diverse boroughs in the country with many people of many backgrounds and experiences living side by side.
It is the richness of this diversity, and the positive impact that it has on the borough and our community, that we believe helps make Harrow such a great place to live, work and visit.
Our vision for Harrow is built on recognising the needs of every local community, promoting inclusion and cohesion, fairness and justice.
As a community leader, we will continue to bring communities together. Whether they be other public partners such as the police and fire brigade, or residents who want to make a difference in their communities like the Community Champions. We're striving to achieve this vision for our borough.
In serving a diverse population, the Council aims to make sure that there is equality of opportunity. This extends to residents, service users, employees, elected members, stakeholders and partner organisations. It is irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
As an employer, we are committed to employing a diverse workforce, to help us to understand and relate to the community we serve.
Through our recruitment policies and practices, our aim is to improve on our record and explore further opportunities to encourage applicants from all sections of the community to consider joining our workforce.
As a service provider, we are committed to ensuring our services are open, fair and accessible.
We do this by taking into consideration the needs and requirements of our diverse community and service users. We will continue to improve our services through a robust Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) process, engaging with and listening to our communities and service users.
As a procurer of goods and services, we will continue to ensure our commissioning processes are fair and equitable. Moreover that those delivering a service on our behalf share our commitment to equality and diversity.
Our Principles and Values
Our Equality of Opportunity Policy is underpinned by a number of principles and values, which are to:
- Implement our equality policies to ensure that employment and service delivery policies address the needs of our diverse communities.
- Ensure services are responsive and truly accessible to our customers and service users.
- Work in partnership with the Trade Unions and workforce. Plan, develop and maintain effective communication and information solutions so that the Council can deliver cost effective and accessible services in the context of an appropriate work-life balance.
- Ensure our workforce has the skills and competencies required to deliver a high quality service through effective recruitment, selection and development of employees.
- Encourage partnership and participation in the development and application of our policies, practices and services.
- Work actively to eliminate all forms of unlawful discrimination, both direct and indirect that is prohibited under the Equality Act 2010.
View our Equality of opportunity policy.