Empty property previously occupied by a student
The property is exempt providing that:
- when last occupied it was the sole or main residence of that student and
- that no one else, other than students, lived there.
If they were not a student when they left the address they must have become a qualifying student within 6 weeks of leaving the property. The exemption only applies for as long as they remain a student. Apprentices and Youth Training trainees are not considered as students for the purposes of this exemption.
To apply you will need to:
- Download and complete the application form
- Scan your supporting documents and application form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
- Send the documents and form to your computer eg by email or text.
- Attach the image and answer all the questions on the evidence form
You will need to provide proof of the following:
- verification from the local authority where their term time address is that they qualify under council tax regulation
- proof of living somewhere where they are not liable for council tax eg halls of residence
- proof of empty property