Empty property exemptions

Empty property due to occupant providing care elsewhere

You might be exempt from council tax if you have left your home, which was your sole or main residence, in order to provide care for someone. To qualify your home must be empty and you must have been the carer continuously, since leaving your home.

The person you are caring for must meet one of the following criteria:

  • old age
  • disablement
  • illness
  • past or present alcohol or drug dependence
  • past or present mental disorder

You must be able to provide the care at your new home rather than from the exempt property. However, it doesn't need to be the home of the person receiving the care. This doesn't include people who spend only short periods away from your main home to provide care.

Supporting documents

You will need to provide proof of the following:

  • carer's allowance


Apply for an exemption due to occupant providing care elsewhere

  • Download and complete the application form
  • Scan the completed application form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone
  • Attach the documents and answer all of the questions on the evidence form