Empty property exemptions

Empty property due to occupant being in hospital or a care home

If you used to live alone but have now moved to a hospital or residential care home, and your property is empty, you are exempt from paying council tax for it. 

The exemption will last until your tenancy ends or your property is sold. If you have a short stay (less than six weeks) in hospital it has no effect on the council tax bill.

Apply for an exemption due to occupant being in a hospital or care home

To apply you will need to:

  • Download and complete the application form
  • Scan the form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  • Attach the form and answer all the questions on the evidence form.