Diplomats and Armed Forces discounts and exemptions

Council tax discount for diplomats and Visiting Forces

You will not be counted for council tax if you are a:

  • diplomat
  • member of a visiting Armed Force
  • member (or dependant of a member) of certain International Headquarters and Defence Organisations

If another adult lives in your property who pays council tax they may qualify for a discount.


To apply for the discount you will need to:

  1. Download and complete the application form.
  2. Scan the completed refund form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  3. Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer eg by email or text.
  4. Attach the image to the evidence upload form.

Supporting documents

You will need to provide the following documents to support your application:

  • A letter from bureau or a certificate issued under Section 11 of the Visiting Forces Act 1952.
  • TX19 from Foreign and Commonwealth Office for Diplomats