Diplomats and Armed Forces discounts and exemptions

UK Armed Forces discount

Service personnel who own or rent a private property in England are liable to pay council tax on their own property to their local authority.

Such properties may be unoccupied if the Service personnel is overseas or residing in service accommodation. In such cases we consider this a second home, if unoccupied but furnished. Consequently there is a discount of 50% for council tax.

Supporting documents

  • You will need to provide proof that you are working overseas or residing in service accommodation.


Apply for a UK Armed Forces discount

To apply you will need to:

  • Scan your supporting documents using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  • Attach the image and answer all the questions on the evidence form.