Local education authority (LEA) maintained nursery schools and classes, are attached to LEA infant and primary schools in Harrow. They are registered and inspected by Ofsted (The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills) as part of the school’s inspection.
Most parents will choose a nursery attached to their school of choice, or where older siblings may attend. Children that attend a maintained nursery or class are not guaranteed a place at the school when they reach school age. Please note that nursery classes attached to independent schools may incur fees.
They offer the following:
- Early education to children aged between three to five years old
- Most nursery schools provide early education and childcare on the school premises
- Staffed by teachers and assistants
All providers will have arrangements in place to support children with special educational needs or disabilities. Maintained schools, maintained nursery schools and all providers who are funded by the local authority to deliver early education places must have regard to the the SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years. All providers will have a named Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).
Standards for the learning, development and care of children
Nursery schools, when caring for under fives, have to follow the statutory framework for the early years foundation stage.
There must be at least one member of staff for every eight children.
There must be an offer of full and half days, usually between 9am to 3.30pm during the school year. Nursery school sessions usually take place in the morning or afternoon (typically a session is 3 hours) however, some may be flexible
School nurseries can be registered for Funded Early Education Entitlement Funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds, this includes:
- 2 year old funding (up to15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year)
- Universal 3 and 4 year old funding (up to15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year)
- Extended 3 and 4 year old funding also known as 30 hours funding (up to 15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year in addition to the universal 3 and 4 year old funding equating to up to 30 hours per week over 38 weeks or 1140 hours per year)
Find your nearest
- See our list of centres to find your nearest nursery school
Families Information Service
Lines open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. Telephone: 020 8901 2690 (option 1)Address: Civic Centre