Childminders are registered by Ofsted (The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills) to look after children from birth to age eight. Most will offer care for children aged up to 11 or over. They are inspected regularly to make sure the care they provide meets the regulations set by Ofsted. All staff have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
They are self employed and are usually based in their own home and can offer flexible hours to fit around your family needs. They can also offer before and after school care.
Childminders offer a home-from-home childcare service where your child will experience learning and development activities suitable for their age and stage of development.
All providers will have arrangements in place to support children with special educational needs or disabilities. Maintained schools, maintained nursery schools and all providers who are funded by the local authority to deliver early education places must have regard to the SEND code of practice: 0 to 25 years. All providers will have a named Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO). Childminders are encouraged to identify a person to act as a SENCO and childminders who are registered with a childminder agency or who are part of a network may wish to share the role between them.
You can use their services full time or for just a few hours a week. Most are open all year round. The daily/hourly rates depend on:
- where the childminder lives
- the number of children they care for
- any special requirements your child has
- how many hours care you need them for
Childminders can be registered for Funded Early Education Entitlement Funding for 2, 3 and 4 year olds, this includes:
- 2 year old funding (up to15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year)
- Universal 3 and 4 year old funding (up to15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year)
- Extended 3 and 4 year old funding also known as 30 hours funding (up to 15 hours per week over 38 weeks or 570 hours per year in addition to the universal 3 and 4 year old funding equating to up to 30 hours per week over 38 weeks or 1140 hours per year)
Find your nearest childcare provider.
View list of registered childminders with current vacancies.
For further information please contact the Families Information Service.
Families Information Service
Lines open 9am - 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays. Telephone: 020 8901 2690 (option 1)Address: Civic Centre