Apply for an in-year school place

To apply for an immediate school place for your child, during the school year (September to July), you will need to complete the in-year application form. This may be because you have recently moved to Harrow or that you would like your child to change schools during the school year.

Applications from families arriving from abroad, including the EU

In most cases, children arriving from overseas have the right to attend schools in England. It is the responsibility of parents to check whether their child has a right, under their visa entry conditions, to study at a school before submitting an application. 

View more information about applications for families arriving from abroad on the Government website


To apply you will need to complete an application form. You can choose up to six schools for your child to attend. Each school can be added to your list only once.

To help you to choose a suitable school, you can:

If you do not pay Council Tax in Harrow you will need to submit documents to provide proof of your address.

Apply for an in-year school place

Primary and secondary school guides

You can read further information on how to apply for an in-year school place and details of school admission arrangements for each school in the guide to primary schools 2021-22 and the guide to secondary schools 2021-22.

Faith schools

To apply for a place at a faith school you will also need to complete a Supplementary Information Form in addition to the application form. Find out more about faith schools.

Receiving the outcome of your application

If a place is available at the school you would like your child to attend, you will be sent a letter offering you a school place. You will need to contact the school to accept the offer within 5 days. If we are unable to offer you a place at one of your preferred schools and you live in Harrow, we will offer you a place at the nearest school with a vacancy.

Waiting lists 

If your child is not offered a place at the school of your first preference, they will be automatically placed on a waiting list. This will be for all the other schools which you ranked at a higher preference than the school where you received an offer. Waiting lists are ranked in the priority given in the admissions arrangements. Places are offered from the waiting lists as they become available throughout the year.

You can check your school waiting list position online.

Schools outside of the borough of Harrow

If you would like your child to attend a school outside of the borough of Harrow, you will need to contact the borough the school is located in.