Applying for a vehicle crossing (dropped kerb)

A vehicle crossing (or dropped kerb) is a ramp on the footway connecting it to the road surface. They provide easy access from private property to the road, providing off-street parking for residents and are particularly useful for those with disabilities or young children.

The council can construct vehicle crossings at the request of any resident, subject to the eligibility criteria being met. We can also extend existing vehicle crossings to make them wider or relocate them if required.

If your application is approved the works will be carried out by the council's highway contractor. Our contractors are the only ones approved to carry out this work. It is an offence for any other persons to do this work without the council’s permission.

Vehicle crossings are constructed for domestic vehicle use only (standard cars). If you require a vehicle crossing for building works or heavier vehicles, please contact us to discuss your case first (details below).

Footway schemes

If your query relates to a vehicle crossing being carried out as part of a footway scheme (the whole road being done at the same time), please contact [email protected] or call 020 8416 8783.


Before making your application, make sure you have read the guide to applying for a vehicle crossing

You will be asked to provide a sketch of your request. Please view this example of a detailed sketch.


Vehicle crossings officer

Address: Address: PO Box 39
Civic Centre

Telephone: 020 8736 6072